sorry to say, but your short answer is wrong.

> > class AppModel < ActiveRecord::Base
> > end

> > Table 'blog_development.app_models' doesn't exist

> > My question is, how do I tell Rails not to look for a table named
> > "app_models" AND am I even taking the right approach here? Is there a
> > better way to do this?

> Short answer: Use set_table_name
> <http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/Base.html#method-c-se...> in
> Post.

the right (short) answer is:

class AppModel < ActiveRecord::Base
  # define as abstract.
  self.abstract_class = true
end

> > I would like to create a base model from which all other models will
> > inherit from.
with that approach this is exactly what your getting. however, you
don't tell much about your goals. so it's hard to tell, whether this
is the right thing to do.