I got a similar error when installing ruby 1.9.2 for the first time.
After a lot of frustration I finally discovered that when I added

puts RUBY_VERSION

into the sqlite3.rb file, that rails somehow was using an old jruby
version I had installed previously. After even more debugging I opened
the the rails executable (which rails) and found it was actually
declaring something like #!..jruby. So somehow I must have installed
the rails gem for jruby.. Uninstalling and reinstalling rails did the
trick... Not sure how likely it is that anyone will have the same
issue as I had though :P

Cheers,