I only know about SQLServer 2005 and 2008, not 6.5. Anyway, here is a
list of things I had to do to get a project working with 2005 using
Ruby 1.8.6, Rails 2.3.5 and Mongrel as the web server. You might need
to skip/change some of the steps. I hope it helps:

1.      Install Ruby (1.8.6): http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/downloads/
2.      Install rubygems:
  a.    http://rubygems.org/pages/download (zip version)
  b.    Unpack to a directory and cd there
  c.    ruby setup.rb
3.      Install rails: gem install rails –v=2.3.5
4.      Install mongrel: gem install mongrel
5.      Install mongrel service: gem install mongrel_service
6.      Install SQL Server adapter: gem install activerecord-sqlserver-
adapter
7.      Install ODBC gem: gem install odbc-rails
8.      Install authentication gem: gem install authlogic
9.      Install encryption gem: gem install attr_encrypted
10.     Install SQL Server Management utility (from Microsoft)
11.     Create SQL Server DB
12.     Create login in SQL Server
13.     Create DB user
14.     Create DSN in Windows:
a.      Control Panel -> Adminstrative Tasks -> Data Sources (ODBC)
b.      Click on System DSN -> Add
c.      Select type SQL Server
  i.    Name: *Give it a name*
  ii.   Description: *Give it a description*
  iii.  Server: Server name (*whatever name you can see in the SQL
Server Management Utility*)
  iv.   Use SQL Authentication