Colin, I naturally did send Frederick Cheung (hope I have the name
right) thanks directly, although his answer did not actually solve the
problem, and reiterated advice that I also found on (IIRC)
stackoverflow. He did clue me in to checking the locations of ruby,
rake and gems, and I found another clue on another site, where a
similar problem was documented. Of course, I thanked that person
profusely. I think that's pretty much adequate, and if anyone here had
solved the problem, of course I would have thanked them. I understand
quite clearly how these exchanges work.

The point of my last post was that one respondent seemed more focussed
on topics irrelevant to my question, made remarks that were
gratuitously judgmental, and what he contributed was unhelpful to
others with a similar problem. Signal to noise is important, is it
not?

Other than that – and with no desire to extend this uneccesarily –
what point of etiquette did I miss, in your opinion?