I need a date/time object due to domain requirements although at this
point I don't care about the time object, I just want it to be
midnight.  There are other ways for the user to enter data into this
table where the time element becomes relevant.

Where do I have the rails source?  Also do you know what file/class
handles receiving a post request from a form?

If anyone else is interested here's the code I'm using to reset the
time to midnight.

    @gas_reading = @user.gas_readings.build(params[:gas_reading])

    @gas_reading.start_date = @gas_reading.start_date.change(:hour =>
0, :min => 0, :second => 0) unless @gas_reading.start_date.nil?