Frederick Cheung wrote in post #957145:
> On Oct 26, 9:36am, Alfredo Bonilla <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>> controller reopen action?"
>>

> Models (quite rightly) have no concept of controller actions. If you
> want to do this then you have to change some of the model's state (eg
> set an instance variable) when reopen is called and check that in your
> validation.
> A validation doesn't feel quite right to me. While it sounds like you
> can probably do what you want it sounds like you are stretching the
> semantics slightly: it's not that a particular combination of
> attributes that are invalid, it's a set of transitions that are
> invalid. I'd be more inclined to write a before_validation callback
>
> Fred

Thanks for your answer. I would use the instance variable, but if my
code in the model looks like:

validate :minutes_editable
def minutes_editable
  if minutes_closed_was
        errors.add(:minutes_closed, "specifies that the board is closed.
To reopen, use contextual menu action.")

where minutes_closed is the boolean field that just can be passed from
true to false by executing the "reopen" action.
How would you use the before_validation callback?