Thank you guys so much for your help. I think I have everything
working now. It must be frustrating dealing with such simple issues.
Just one more question: Did you intend to put the " - "  in   <%=
form_tag('/') do -%> ? I removed it and it didn't seem to change
anything.

Thanks again for the help.