Stefan Hinck wrote in post #958118:
> Hello all
>
> Newb alert...
>
> I am trying to install Rails and also update ruby.
>
> I am running OSX and found that my Ruby version is 1.8.7
>

> P.S. I was just going to use TextMate as my editor, though maybe I
> should be using this xCode?

xCode is the Software Development Kit for OSX.  It provides the
compliers and necessary headers to successfully build software on a Mac.
The package is about 800Mb last time I looked.  An older version can be
found on either the system or application disk that ships with your Mac.
I cannot say whether or not xCode contains any editors but it certainly
is not one itself.  Regardless, if you are going to develop in Ruby on a
Mac using native mode gems then the xCode package must be installed.

Once xCode is installed I strongly recommend that you install RVM
(http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/) before doing anything else.