Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote in post #961588:
> Then you don't want to seed the database -- seeding is only for
> relatively static data (such as state and country names) that needs to
> be loaded before you ever run the application.  It sounds to me like you
> simply want to read the XML files and build INSERT queries.  And unless
> I'm badly mistaken, you already know how to do that.

Hi Marnen. Thank you for the quick reply. Honestly, I've never worked
with xml files like this. I grabbed the code for the ruby program from a
lot of different sources and kind of crammed it all together to see what
would work best. I messed up a few times and destroyed some xml files in
to process (thank goodness for backups!). I can output all the xml at
text to the screen... But that's about the extent of my abilities. I'm
not sure how to turn them into objects to insert into a database.

> You may need a cron job or some such to parse new files as they come in.

Thanks for the tip! I'll look into doing that.

> What's the problem, exactly?  There's nothing here that you don't know.

Thanks for the confidence, but I don't have the same confidence in
myself. There's a lot I don't know about Ruby and Rails, and I'm still
trying to learn. I can create a database in Rails. I know how to do
that. But I don't know how to get this text from the xml files turned
into objects to send to the database. Any help on how to do that would
be awesome.

Thanks again Marnen!

--Matt Royer