Phoenix Rising wrote in post #962048:
> Basically, Rails uses the has_many/one belongs_to features to "mimic"
> the functionality of a database foreign key.  A real foreign key,
> however, is built DIRECTLY into the database structure itself instead
> of relying on Rails to make it work.

Not quite.  Your terminology is a little off.  A foreign key is simply a
value in one table which refers to a key field in another.  Rails'
associations use real foreign keys in this sense.

What they do not do, however, is set up foreign key *constraints*.  I
think you're confusion the idea of a foreign key with that of a foreign
key constraint.

> This is useful in situations
> where you have a Rails application, but other programs or programmers
> connect directly to the same database to do work with it.  This
> happens a lot in corporate setups (data warehousing, etc.)

Or anytime you try to use a DB administration tool to tweak a value!

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org