On 28 November 2010 21:07, Bruno Amaral <m...@brunoamaral.eu> wrote:
> I am trying to build a small database of Universities, Departments and
> Courses. But for some reason I can't seem to get a list of courses
> attached to a Department.
>
> So far I have the following Database:
> => Course(id: integer, course_name: string, length: integer,
> university_id: integer, created_at: datetime, updated_at: datetime)
>
> => Department(id: integer, department_name: string,
> department_description: text, head_firstname: string, head_lastname:
> string, head_email: string, university_id: integer, courses_id:
> integer, created_at: datetime, updated_at: datetime)
>
> => University(id: integer, name: string, website: string, country:
> string, city: string, departments_id: integer, courses_id: integer,
> created_at: datetime, updated_at: datetime)
>
> Models:
> class Course < ActiveRecord::Base
>        belongs_to :department
>        belongs_to :university

You don't need course belongs_to university, because course belongs_to
department and department belongs_to university.  So the university
for a course is course.department.university.  That is on the
assumption that the university the course belongs to is the same one
that it's department belongs to.

> end
> class Department < ActiveRecord::Base
>  belongs_to :university
>  has_many :courses
> end
> class University < ActiveRecord::Base
>  has_many :departments
>  has_many :courses
> end
>
> For the Department I am trying to run the following controller
>  def index
>   �...@departments = Department.includes(:courses, :university)
>
> and the following view:
> <% @departments.each do |department| %>
>
> that last line outputs #<Course:0x1042b8270> and it fails when i try
> to add something like department.courses.course_name

I see Fred has pointed out the problem here already.

Colin