> Typically I do rake db:migrate VERSION=0
> But that  also gave me the same error about "Primary key is not allowed in a
> has_and_belongs_to_many join table"
>
> So I then fired up dbconsole and manually dropped the table.
>
> But now I even if I run rake db:migrate the join table isn't created -
> probably because it 'think' it had run it previously.

I believe the problem you've been running into is that your schema
migrations table still has the number of the migration(s) you removed
manually. When the rake task runs it sees the numbers there and says
"OK, that one is done" so it skips the migration. I think the best
thing to do in that case is to manually delete the record(s) in the
schema migrations table in order to be able to rerun them.