Thanks for the reply Marnen.

It would probably help if I give a bit more info about the site...

The site's aim is to list 'popular' topics. My users will be able to
create a topic (if it does not already exist) and leave a reason/comment
about why they like/dislike that topic. They can select as many topics
as they want, but only leave one comment per topic.

The topics homepage will list all the most popular topics (ie topics
with the most users selecting it/leaving a comment)

The users own profile page will simply list the topics they have chosen,
and the comment they left for each of them.

I thought it would be a nice easy one to do as my first Rails app :lol:

//I'll add that info to the first post too//

I think I agree with you about the rich-join, a habtm would probably
work fine. The reason for that was because someone suggested calculating
'popularity' in that model - but looking back through it now, I think I
could just count the number of comments per topic to see which topic is
the most popular.