John Merlino wrote in post #968183:
> Hey all,
>
> I'm following the Authenticating Your Users Recipe in Rails recipes,
> which is a bit outdated I know.
>
> It says run a migration:
>
>   def self.up
>     create_table :users do |t|
>       t.column "username", :string
>       t.column "password_salt", :string
>       t.column "password_hash", :string
>     end
>   end
>
> And then create a form:
>
> <% form_for @user, :url => { :action => "signup" } do |f| %>
>
>   <%= f.label(:username, "username")%>
>   <%= f.text_field(:username) %><br/>
>   <%= f.label(:password, "password")%>
>     <%= f.password_field(:password) %><br/>
>     <%= f.submit("Sign Up")%>
>
> <% end %>
> #Note that he's using the now defunct start_from_tag
>
> Problem is because I don't have a password field in users table in
> database, I think it gives undefined method error for password when I
> pass as argument in the password_field() method. However, in the book,
> he does exactly that and it works for him.
>
> Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

The example should never have worked, unless he's relying on some
particular authentication library (or an attr_accessor call) to create
the password method.

However, you're doing two things wrong here:
* Following an outdated book
* Trying to roll your own authentication library -- just go with
Authlogic or Devise.

> Thanks for response.

Best,
--