On 14 December 2010 01:26, pepe <p...@betterrpg.com> wrote:
>> The value in the db should be UTC, so may be correct, dependent on
>> where you are.
>
> Thanks Colin,
>
> I am in the US, EST. UTC is 5 hours ahead of me (rake time:zones:all).
> For a multiple time zone application I understand that having UTC
> would be "the" option. Is there a reason I am not aware of why I
> should still use UTC for a single time zone application?

So there is never any ambiguity about timestamps in the database.  For
example, suppose you move to a server in another timezone, it can get
very messy if you have timestamps in EST or whatever happens to be
your local timezone today.  By keeping all timestamps in the db in UTC
you will always know what they mean.  Normally Rails will do the
conversion to local time for you so the fact that it is UTC in the db
is not something you need normally worry about.

Colin