Hello,

yes, doesn't have anything with Ubuntu, but your gems are confused.
Installing RVM really solves all your problems, and also prevents
later: http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/

Ruby 1.8.7 + Gem 1,3,5 + Rails 2.3.8
and
Ruby1.9 +Gem1.3.7+Rails3
works together fine.

When installing gems using RVM always pay attention not to use 'sudo'
before commands, so the gems will be Ruby version dependent. So not
"sudo gem install rails" instead only "gem install rails" after
installing RVM and setting default Ruby.

Good luck,
gezope