I have been developing in Windows for a while now and it's true that
there is no much support or love for it in the RoR world. If you
really want to keep going with Windows, though, if I were you I would
get the rubyinstaller and DevKit right away from
http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads.
To install DevKit follow instructions at
https://github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/wiki/Development-Kit.

Most of the problems I have had working with Windows were because of
the DB adapters.

To work with MS SQL you will need 2 gems:
activerecord-sqlserver-adapter
ruby-odbc

Working with MS SQL you will probably want to stick to ODBC so you
will need to create a System DSN. In Windows 7 first try to create it
the regular way but it probably will not work. If it does not work
then you will need to delete what you just created and then use the
executable at C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe. This is the 32-bit
version.

To work with Oracle you will also need 2 gems:
activerecord-oracle_enhanced-adapter
ruby-oci8

Good luck