Don't know if this answers your question. I think your question is a little vague ...
So I just answer the first thing I thought of when I saw your question:

(base rails 3 - don't know which version you use)...

class Report < ActiveModel::Base/ActiveRecord::Base
  validates :report_date, :no_weekend => true

and as validator

class NoWeekendValidator < ActiveModel::EachValidator
  def validate_each(record, attribute, value)
record.errors[attribute] << (options[:message] || "mustn't be a weekend") if value.saturday? || value.sunday?

I don't know if you use a datepicker or which datepicker you could use. But it should be possible to configure it so you can't pick weekends.