On Feb 1, 10:23 pm, "Anthony M." <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Hello All -
>
>            This is my first post into this forum and somewhat of a newb
> to RoR so I'm hoping someone can help.  I currently have a RoR app that
> runs on Ubuntu with Apache and Mysql. There are two issues I'm having
> and they are causing me to bang my head against the wall.
>
> First one is RAILS_ENV: If I run ruby script/console it says that my
> environment is development however if I run RAILS_ENV it says
> production.  I'm trying to find a way to permanently keep the
> environment set to production either through the environment.rb or some
> other method.  I do have the RAILSENV production set in the VHost but it
> seems as if that conflicts with the output of ruby script/console.  If I
> run export RAILS_ENV=production before running ruby script/console it
> comes back in production mode up until I log of the shell and come back
> in.  Is there a way to permanently set the environment to production
> without having to do RAILS_ENV=production everytime I need to do a rake
> task?

RailsEnv in the Vhost only affects what passenger does (I assume you
are using passenger). You should be able to add something to
your .profile (or .bash_profile etc. depending on your shell) that
sets RAILS_ENV.

> Seconde Question:  For all of our development, we have been running the
> app via port 80 and all has worked fine.  Now I need to implement SSL so
> I got a certificate from a CA and installed it without any problems.
> However when I bring up the application in a browser, the application
> doesn't seem like it connects to MySQL.

Is it definitely serving content from your app and not from some other
vhost?

Fred
 The page loads and I see the