This behaviour seems strange to me:

Rails 3.0.4

$ rake db:create
# => creates project_dev AND project_test databases

$ rake db:drop
# => only drops the project_dev database (as expected)

$ RAILS_ENV=test rake db:drop
# => this effectively drops the project_test database (as expected)

Seems in conflict with this description:

$ rake -T db:create
rake db:create  # Create the database from config/database.yml for the
current Rails.env
(use db:create:all to create all dbs i...

$ rake -T db:drop
rake db:drop  # Drops the database for the current Rails.env
(use db:drop:all to drop all databases)

If this is not the intended behaviour, I can submit a bug report in
rails-core and probably work up a patch too. Catting my Gemfile here
(just did bundle update with this):

$ cat Gemfile
source 'http://rubygems.org'

gem 'rails', '3.0.4'