I wonder if you added the required line to your .bash_profile file.

This is the line...

[[ -s "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" ]] && . "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm"  #
This loads RVM into a shell session.

Check out the link on the rvm site... and scroll down to the "Post
Install" section.

http://rvm.beginrescueend.com/rvm/install/

David