This is what I have and it gives the error.

 validates :uname,  :presence => true,
                    :length   => { :maximum => 50 }

puts "The name is set to #{user.uname}"

But without the puts it updates the record into the databse.   I think it is
to do with scoping.  If have this puts after make salt then I have no
problem