Hi Kenneth,

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 5:48 PM, Kenneth Vogt <kenneth.v...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am redesigning a php app in RoR. I am brand new to both Ruby and
> Rails. There is a front end to the app with the typical MVC kind of
> interactions between end users and a database. There is also backend
> processing that happens independent of any user interaction. My
> question is, does the RoR framework make any sense for this backend
> processing seeing as there wouldn't really be any "views"? I don't
> want to code in two languages unnecessarily but I also don't want to
> force something into a mold for which it is not designed. Does RoR for
> backend processing make sense? If not, what does?

My short answer is yes.  My current app provides two sorts of what I
think you mean when you say 'backend processing.'  script/runner gives
us access to the Rails app outside the 'interactive user' model.

In the first case there a user requests a report.  That request is
queued via the Background job plugin.  When the Background job runs,
it