Yes, this is the key issue on migrations: independent of DB engine.
As to completely avoid the programmer using SQL: this is true when we're
talking about DDL (Data Definition Language), i.e., when we define the
structure, but you can still use 'raw' SQL when doing DML (Data Manipulation
Language). This is not usually recomended, since you attach yourself to a
specific DB engine, you should use an ORM like Active Record.

Cheers,
:jb