I mean, that the better way to learning is to continue in PHP and then
start with RoR. If you have some experience with PHP, try to be able
work in that and write in that web apps.
You will learn some programming practices and other programming language
will not a problem... Plus PHP have a quick curve learning...

RoR is not a programming language, but it's a framework.

You wrote you would like to write a desktop application... I'm newbie in
Ruby/RoR, but that are tools for building web applications... I think
for this will totally better languages like C/C++ or Java...

I see I have other view on this theme than a colleagues, but try
everything and you'll see, what will be for you the best :)