Is it possible to have a form submit normally if button X is pushed
and do an AJAX call if button Y is pushed?

My use case:

I'm letting users do some customizations and I want a preview button
and a save button.   Hitting preview submits the current form values
as an AJAX call and the returned javascript generates a preview.  When
they are happy with the results they hit save which should just submit
the form normally.

I guess another option would be to have a separate form for the AJAX
preview function that copies all the values from the main form.

Any pointers?