On 03/24/2011 02:48 PM, sol.manager wrote:
We have an app that is at Rails 2.1.0 and our web developer has let us
know going to 3.0 will cost some money. I have embarked on a personal
project to see what is involved in getting from 2.1.0 to 3.0. I have
the app up and running on 2.2.2 (with some fun along the way) and now
tried to get 2.3.4 and see a gem_dependency conflict type issue.
On my system I have rails (3.0.5, 3.0.3, 3.0.1, 3.0.0, 2.3.8, 2.3.5,
2.3.4, 2.2.2, 2.1.0, 1.2.6)

Do I really need to upgrade each step in-between, including
downloading Rails 2.x releases I missed? Is there some reason jumping
straight to 3.0 isn't recommended because it looks like it will take
me awhile if I have to go through each iteration. I am late to the
party, so I am encountering issues long since resolved for others, one
by one and having to learn/work my way through the mess at the same
time.

Going from 2.1 to 3.0 is a long jump. I would go to 2.2.2 and then 2.3.11 and then 3.0. It is not required but it would give you smaller bites to fix at each increment and probably some deprecations to help figure out what needs to be changed. Make sure the tests and the app all work at each step whatever steps you take.

Norm