The main issues to consider are contention and scalability/performance. Can
both apps be updated or just one? If both, what happens if both update the same
field on the same record at the same time?

If performance isn't an issue, a simple synchronous js call to a RESTful API
should be fine, waiting for a "success" response from the remote server. If
you're worried about scaling/performance, I'd consider a messaging architecture
where each system passes messages to the other and the other listens to the
queue. But of course if you do that, handling contentions becomes harder
because you will have transactions that "worked" that conflict and will need to
have some kind of eventual consistency resolution strategy.

Just to ask the related question, what do people use for message queue's in the
Rails world (assuming they're not on JRuby)?

Best Wishes,
Peter