I believe I know what you are trying to ask. I had to setup something
similar for an application of mine. I have one table with one column
for each value type (boolean_value, string_value, integer_value,
decimal_value and datetime_value) and a 'code' column for values such
as 'timeout minutes'.

In my maintenance pages I have the code field and 5 other fields, one
for each column type. So far I have not used the datetime_value field
but you never know. I validate that one and only one of the "value"
fields is entered and make sure that if the chosen field is the
boolean_value one it is either true or false to avoid mistakes such as
the user not entering any values on the screens and pressing Enter.
Another thing I am doing for security purposes is that once the record
has been created the user must 'unlock' the code field in the editable
pages to be able to change it and when he/she does an alert is
displayed saying that if the code value is changed the application
might stop working.

I hope this helps.