This is the original line that you used to into your .bashrc:

[[ -s "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" ]] && . "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm"

This one is the new way that uses the bash shell echo command to stick the
same line above in your .bashrc.
You can not put this in your .bashrc. You have to run this line in a bash
shell terminal and do the same thing as above.

echo '[[ -s "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" ]] && . "$HOME/.rvm/scripts/rvm" # Load
RVM function' >> ~/.bash_profile

Most people just put the second line in the .bashrc by mistake.