I don't think its 2000 quite yet.. 96 sounds more like it. In 1999 I
once got offered a dot com startup job with stock options, great
benefits, etc.. sitting in a starbucks, by a stranger who had never
seen my work. I was only 17... so that must describe the level of
desperation in the marketplace for developers.

I do think we are going to see a new tech bubble.. and it seems like
ruby is certainly the right community to get involved in. I am trying
to move my company from doing php work to rails work for that very
reason.

Like everyone else, I am not sure who would be willing to work at that
rate when you can find ruby jobs all over the place offering a great
salary.