First, I'm probably not going to describe this problem perfectly
because I am not entirely sure what it happens - please bear with me.

I am getting some weird instability issues with Webrick/Rails 3.1 when
I render views that contain my_route_path's that don't actually exist
in the ERB file.

What will happen is that my Ubuntu will start lagging, the mouse
becomes choppy and my entire system destabilizes. I try and CTRL-C
webrick, but it takes a long time to get it to shut down. Even worse,
Ubuntu is still sluggish and I have to kill the terminal window
entirely for Ubuntu to start behaving properly.

It takes about 60 seconds for Webrick to figure out what went wrong
and tell me that the route_path didn't point to an instance variable
or method.

As you can imagine, this is pretty frustrating/annoying and really
interrupts with a nice, pleasant workflow.

I can at least verify that "render_views" in test does not cause this
problem when a route_path is not defined... so there's something
specific to actually testing your site in a browser. It may happen on
other web servers... I don't know... but I am using webrick.

It may also have something to do with the asset pipeline too.. just
before it reports the error, I can see debugging information that it's
compiling a whole bunch of my javascript requires from the
application.js manifest.

Is this a known problem? Is there a solution to this? Does anything I
wrote make any sense at all? I wish I knew more about Rails to give
you better info. This is the best I can do.