On Jun 10, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Iván Hernández wrote:

On 06/09/2011 07:23 PM, Walter Davis wrote:

On Jun 9, 2011, at 2:17 PM, Iván Hernández wrote:

On 06/09/2011 07:04 PM, Frederick Cheung wrote:

On 9 Jun 2011, at 18:31, Iván Hernández <ivanhcelrinconelme...@gmail.com > wrote:

On 06/09/2011 06:13 PM, Frederick Cheung wrote:

On 9 Jun 2011, at 17:26, Distriker <ivanhcelrinconelme...@gmail.com > wrote:

Hi, I'm trying create a user system for a future project but I have a problem when I want give to my users the "Welcome". This is my code:

#application_controller
protect_from_forgery

helper_method :current_user
private
def current_user_session
return @current_user_session if defined? (@current_user_session)
  @current_user_session = UserSession.find
end
def current_user
@current_user = current_user_session && current_user_session.user

#welcome_controller
class WelcomeController < ApplicationController
def hi
  @current_user
  if (@current_user)
    @welr = '¡Bienvenido' + @current_user + ' a nuestra web!'
  else
    @weli = "¡Bienvenido invitado, no dude en registrarse!"

#
#hi.html.erb
<h1><%= @controller.hi %></h1>

I believe that my problem are in the variable that I'm use, but I have
tried with @user_session and nothing.

Assuming you want to display the text stored in @weli then you should be doing <%= @weli %>

Fred
Anyone know?

Regards, Iván

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group. To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com . To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com . For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en .

Hi Fred, I want show @weli to my guest and @welr to my users, that is why I use "if" and the variable @current_user, but, does not works.

Use current_user - you are only setting @current_user when current_user is called.

Fred.
Regards, Iván --
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group. To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com . To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com . For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en .
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group. To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk@googlegroups.com . To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com . For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en .
Ok, thanks, before If I changed all my @current_user in welcome_controller the webpage show me an error:
can't convert User into String
But I just noticed the error, and it was because User must be converted in String with .to_s, what I was silly :(

One question more, now, this show me the welcome message correct but no with the username, but with this:
<User:0xb6cd90f4>
How I can change it?

What is the name of the attribute on User that holds the name? If it's called name, then you would do @current_user.name in your erb block.

Walter

Hi Walter, I think that it's current_user_session.user, but this don't work, because show me the same. I'm trying make a call or something, but nothing.

Regards, Iván

current_user_session.user gets you the current instance of the User model, so you need to look inside that for the name attribute. If it's called first_name, for example, then you would use current_user_session.user.first_name as your value. If it's called name, then change first_name to name. You want the value of a specific property of that instance object, not the object itself. That's the part you've been chasing your tail about here.

Walter

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Ruby on Rails: Talk" group. To post to this group, send email to rubyonrails- t...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to rubyonrails-talk+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com . For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk?hl=en .