I personally prefers linux backtrack for development and gnome env and him
as e editor .  Last version is based on Ubuntu. At the end of the day it
doesn't make any difference which Linux you use as long as you know what are
you doing.

http://cicolink.blogspot.com/2011/06/how-to-install-ruby-on-rails-3-w...

http://cicolink.blogspot.com/2010/10/how-to-install-ruby-rails-and.html