On Aug 14, 2011, at 4:42 PM, Rafael Ubaldo wrote:

It matches because it's true. The expressions states any number of digits before the end of line. It does not state exclusively digits.

That wasn't what I got from it on Rubular. The ^ and $ surrounding the \d* mean the entire line is considered, and if you type in the precise regexp on rubular.com, and then type in 123f in the test string box, you'll see that it matches 1,12,123, and then reports "no match" the moment you type the f.

Walter