I changed Oniguruma::ORegexp.new with Regexp.new

for example contents.to_s.gsub!(regular_expression, replace text)
but it returns a nil value and does`nt seem to working as expected

like (<\/p>)\s+(<p>) for removing paragraph tags form the content

and i keep recieving this error message in the terminal

/home/user/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290/gems/activesupport-2.3.11/lib/
active_support/dependencies.rb:406: warning: nested repeat operator +
and ? was replaced with '*': /<li>(?:\s+)?(.*?)(?:\s+)?<\/li>/