Hi, im new to rails and I got a mind boggling issue.

I have a select form populated with Institutes names e.g University of
Yale. These records are obtained from the Institute ActiveRecord.The
institutes table has a many to many relationships with the course table.

My application should work such that when you select a certain institute
using a select() component and press the button proceed to view courses
available for the institute chosen. This will take you to a new page
with the courses.

My problem is that i don't know how i will store selected institute id
and use it to select specific courses using the many to many
relationships.. below are my code snippets
/app/controller/Course.rb

class CourseController < ApplicationController
    layout 'standard'
   def list
       @courses = Course.find(:all)
   end
   def show
      @course = Course.find(params[:id])
   end
   def new
      @courses = Course.new
      @institutes = Institute.find(:all)
     # @cfilters = CourseFilter.find(params[:id])
   end
   def create
      @course = Course.new(params[:course])
      if @course.save
            redirect_to :action => 'list'
      else
            flash[:warning]="Failed to "
            @courses = Course.find(:all)
            render :action => 'new'

/app/views/institute/list.html.erb

<% if @institutes.blank? %>
<% else %>
<form action="/course/show" method="submit" id = "course_id">
<%= select ("submit", "name", Institute.find(:all).collect {|c| [
c.name, c.id ] }, :prompt => "Select Institute", :onchange =>
"this.form.submit();")%>

<%= submit_tag "Proceed To Courses"%>
</form>
<%end%>

/app/views/courses/list.html.erb
<% if @courses.blank? %>
<% else %>
<ul id="courses">
<% Course.find(params[:id]).each do |c| %>
<li><%= link_to c.course_name, :action => "show", :id => c.id %></li>
<% end %>
</ul>
<%= collection_select(:course,:id,@courses,:id,:course_name) %></p>
</ul>-->
<form action="/unit/list" method="submit">
<%= submit_tag "Proceed" %>
</form>
<% end %>