I could deploy that way although the latest capistrano does seem to have a
builtin for assets if you load 'deploy/assets', however I want to precompile
locally and upload the resulting public/assets. I don't want to have to
deploy all the assets stuff to my production server and precompile on the
server, it makes more sense to me to precompile locally.

So I'll have to write a bunch of custom stuff for capistrano to do that.

There is a discussion thread on the capistrano ML about this.