I've recently purchased a linux server VPS and have managed to get my
rails 3.1 application online and running using apache and passenger.
It runs itself whenever the apache server starts and although I'm not
sure totally why or how this works - it works. My rails application
uses Sunspot for searching through it's contents - however this has
caused an issue, as it isn't as simple as running "rake
sunspot:solr:start RAILS_ENV=production" when in production.

It seems to be pretty poorly documented how to setup a Solr server and
get it working with a rails application - however I've had a go. I
followed the instructions here to setup a Tomcat/Solr server:
https://github.com/outoftime/sunspot/wiki/Configure-Solr-on-Ubuntu,-the-quickest-way
However I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to do with it.. going to :
8080/solr and :8983:/solr give me weird admin panels which I don't
seem to be able to do anything interesting with, but I'm sure that
these URLs are important.

When running my rails app - I get the following error on pages with
the search integrated:

Connection refused - connect(2)

Which I think indicates that it can't access the server properly or
something. I've been googling and trying things for hours - but to no
avail. Could anyone help me get this working?

Please Help,

Thanks In Advance,

Joe