So guys, no ideas about this one?
Why Model.count is completely broken in 3.1 when using :include option?
(see my original mail for details)

I consider two possibilities:
1) there might be some new option which I need to enable (though strange
that this was not announced)
2) this is some regression specific to Rails 3.1 and I should report this as
a bug upstream

If this is 2) I guess I should forward this to rails-core mailing list?...