I use a DB table but store one value per setting. Then in my code I
just access whichever record I need to gain access to the value. This
gives me great flexibility to maintain the setting values. Then I
access the table only when needed. It might not be as fast as having
all values retrieved at once but in my case it does not make any real
difference in the performance of the application.