Ok, I found this post:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6128495/devise-being-logged-out-on-post-to-different-route

and it showed me that the 'protect_from_forgery' method is the culprit
here and commenting it out makes this functionality work how it is
supposed to.  Again it makes me nervous to leave this method out.

Does anyone know of a way to fix this or work around the
'protect_from_forgery' for just this :upload action?

I'm not really finding anything on fixing this issue via google