It might be possible to pass it as part of the uri, but you do not want to
do that because it would create a second url representing the same resource.
Basically, you want to have one url per resource to make the API easy to
use, and for things that are actually queries it is better to use
parameters.

Here is a simple example to illustrate the problem by adding voting to the
user resource:

/users/1/votes
/users/email/mar...@wawrusch.com/votes

Which one is the correct one? Software developers would guess the first one,
but machines would be clueless. And you would have to implement both routes
to be consistent, then you would have to document it, and then you would
hate programming :)