On 25 Oct 2011, at 09:49, Peter Vandenabeele wrote:

I have been using rails more and
more and more now and am looking to keep ruby and ruby gems better
together. Is it worth using RVM? And what does it acually do other
then able me to swtich between ruby 1.8 and 1.9?

2 important  things it does for me are:

1) I make a gemset for every new project or testing with a new Rails version etc.

So every time, I have a new, clean gem environment (example below)

2) it allows me to install multiple ruby versions, in my _local_ home directory, without worrying about the version that could be (or maybe not, I don't care) installed by root
in the central /usr/.. directories.

HTH,

Peter

##################

Example of using rvm gemset : with a new gemset it is really easy to bootstrap a new Rails
project, without interfering with the existing ones.

<code>
peterv@ASUS:~/data/temp$ rvm use 1.9.3
Using /home/peterv/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-rc1

peterv@ASUS:~/data/temp$ rvm gemset list

gemsets for ruby-1.9.3-rc1 (found in /home/peterv/.rvm/gems/ ruby-1.9.3-rc1)
   contact_app
   global

peterv@ASUS:~/data/temp$ rvm gemset create fancy
'fancy' gemset created (/home/peterv/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-rc1@fancy).

peterv@ASUS:~/data/temp$ rvm use 1.9.3@fancy
Using /home/peterv/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.3-rc1 with gemset fancy

You can even streamline this a bit more by putting a .rvmrc file in your project folder:

/myproject/.rvmrc

rvm_gemset_create_on_use_flag=1
rvm use <rubyversion>@<gemsetname>

RVM will automatically switch to the proper gemset and ruby version as you "cd" into the project folder (or out of it). There's a lot more options available in the documentation.

http://beginrescueend.com/workflow/rvmrc/

Best regards

Peter De Berdt