On Dec 13, 2011, at 2:44 PM, Frederick Cheung wrote:

> On 13 Dec 2011, at 21:07, Craig White <craig.wh...@ttiltd.com> wrote:
>
>> 1 down - 1 to go... can anyone toss me a bone here?
>>
>> On Dec 13, 2011, at 10:25 AM, Craig White wrote:
>>
>>> Rails 3.1.x
>>>
>>> 2 questions... Perhaps I am doing this too much in the raw of jquery but I
>>> can't seem to find any other way to do these things
>>>
>>> 1 - drag_drop.js has...
>>>
>>>     $.post( "groups/add_member/", { "add": ui.draggable.text() } );
>>>  which is almost everything I want but I want to add @group.id to the URL.
>>> How can I get the value of @group.id into the jquery string?
>> ----
>> can't figure out how to get @group.id from rails into the jquery string
>
> These days I usually either stash things  like that in the dom as data-
> attributes or stick a js snippet in the page that sets a global javascript
> variable to whatever the scripts that run on the page need to refer to
----
the next time I read about how easy it is to use jquery I'm going to gag   ;-)

I finally got it... took a surprising long time to figure this one out

 $.post( "groups/add_member/", { "add": ui.draggable.text(), "id":
ui.draggable.attr("data-add") }, function(data) {

and obviously added the 'data-add' tag to the <li>

Thanks Leonardo & of course, Fred

Craig