On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 8:54 AM, Walter Lee Davis <wa...@wdstudio.com>wrote:

> On Dec 19, 2011, at 11:38 AM, Dandy wrote:
>
> > $ sudo gem update --systemERROR:  While executing gem ...
> > (RuntimeError)    gem update --system is disabled on Debian, because
> > it will overwrite the content of the rubygems Debian package, and
> > might break your Debian system in subtle ways. The Debian-supported
> > way to update rubygems is through apt-get, using Debian official
> > repositories.If you really know what you are doing, you can still
> > update rubygems by setting the REALLY_GEM_UPDATE_SYSTEM environment
> > variable, but please remember that this is completely unsupported by
> > Debian.
>
> Wow. How much control do you have over this server? Can you remove the
> Debian gem package and re-install gem from source? My sysadmin skills are
> limited to Mac OS X Server, Solaris, and Ubuntu, so I don't have any more
> specific advice for you there. If you can, I would take everything off --
> gem, Ruby, everything except the build tools basically. Then use the RVM
> installer to install Ruby and gem in one go. Here's my (Ubuntu) recipe for
> that (do all of this as root):
>
> aptitude safe-upgrade
> aptitude update
> aptitude install build-essential openssl libreadline6 libreadline6-dev
> curl git-core zlib1g zlib1g-dev libssl-dev libyaml-dev libsqlite3-0
> libsqlite3-dev sqlite3 libxml2-dev libxslt-dev autoconf libc6-dev
> ncurses-dev automake libtool bison subversion libcurl4-openssl-dev apache2
> apache2-dev apache2-prefork-dev libapr1-dev libaprutil1-dev mysql-server
> mysql-dev
> (preceding should be all one line, naturally)
>
> bash < <(curl -sk
> https://raw.github.com/wayneeseguin/rvm/master/binscripts/rvm-installer)
>
> log out and back in
>
> rvm install 1.9.2
> rvm default 1.9.2
>
> gem update --system
> gem install passenger
> (follow instructions from the installer)
>
> passenger-install-apache2-module
> (follow instructions from the installer)
>
> If you don't have aptitude, you can substitute apt-get for it where noted
> above, I have used them interchangeably in the past.

I second the suggestion to use RVM instead of the debian packages for ruby
and rubygems.  I've generally found the packages to be problematic with a
lot of newer gems.  I read a while ago that the people who maintain the
Debian ruby packages are essentially unsupported and few in number, so
updates to those packages are very infrequent.  I think they basically said
not to expect a Debian package for 1.9.2 anytime soon.