All right, let's hope that "business user" is up to write the rules, even
without null checks ;-)
Seriously now: are they up to handling monetary units represented as
floating point numbers? A recent thread has emphasized the problems arising
from tests such as floatVal <= floatConst, and I've been preaching about
possible inconsistencies due to the inherent nature of FP arithmetic, even
for doing sums. BigDecimal is one solution, but I guess your BUs will go
ballistic if you tell them about the consequences...

But here's my last proposal for circumnavigating the NPE issue:

At the point of fact insertion, wrap all "dangerous" bean objects into a
container fact with a single field and insert the container. Write rules
matching the container, testing the wrapped object for field == null and
whatever; if so, change and log; and now insert the wrapped object as a fact
proper. (If necessary, you could even write a single rule for all fact
types, using inspection to determine all dangerous fields.)

-W