Well, technically you choose a different dialect because you want different
functionality, so consistency isn't a requirement.  I do agree that the
difference is not intuitive.  I'm not sure why they're disabled in mvel.  Dev
d00ds?  If the reason is just to enforce the "you shouldn't have conditions in
the RHS" pattern then I don't think that's sufficient.