The persistence mechanism for user provided objects is pluggable, based on a given strategy. The reason for this is some people are happy to have their objects serialised with the session state, others have their objects in a DB somewhere and just want a placeholder serialised. This works for process instance variables and also inserted working memory facts.

Mark