A couple comments:

* The temporal reasoning features/operators are available in both CLOUD and
STREAM mode. The biggest differences are that in CLOUD mode there is no
automatic garbage collection of old events and you can't use sliding
windows, but everything else works.

* You can insert events with old timestamps, but in that case it is the
rule's author responsibility to understand that sliding windows using that
event type might be affected and if running in STREAM mode, you should
define an expiration policy for that event type that will keep him in
memory for enough time to match any rules that require it. For instance, if
in your application events will have a maximum duration of 24hs and because
of that they can be inserted into the system with a delay of 24hs, you
should define an expiration policy for it that is at least 24hs.

   Edson